Project: HMI with embedded Artificial intelligence to assist machine operator.
Duration: 6+ months
Application Deadline: December 2023
About the Project:
We are seeking highly motivated students from an applied university to join our dynamic team at Tembo in a project aimed at developing an HMI for paper straw making machine with an embedded AI model that assists the machine operator in choosing the right machine settings. Tembo is a global leader in manufacturing technology with a strong commitment to sustainability and innovation for our partners. The trend in manufacturing is towards autonomous machines. Tembo believes that completely autonomous machines are still quite far in the future. Currently the best scenario would be to make the machine smart (using AI) but keep the controls in the hands of humans. This means that the machine will guide the operator with the best machine settings, but it will be up to the operator to either accept this suggestion or not. Which information must be provided to the operator in which format so that the operator can make an informed decision. At the same time, it will affect the decision-making capability negatively if we overload the operator with information. The right amount and quality of information play a vital role in the operators decision-making. Designing the HMI becomes very important in this regard.
In short, as Internship student/Minor, you will:
- Carry out a survey / interview on how operators would take their decision based on predictions made from AI model.
- Account for UX requirements.
- Design and develop a basic HMI which shows monitoring of the process, provides suggestions to operator based on AI, a pre-defined set of information with the suggestion and possibility to ask for more information.
- Validation and testing of the HMI.
- Currently enrolled in Industrial automation & Robotics, Embedded & Wireless Systems, Industrieel Product Ontwerpen or related program at an applied university or University.
- Strong background in Front end development (User interface)
- Knowledge of product development will be a plus.
- Experience with conducting workshops/ interviews.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Interested candidates are invited to submit the following documents:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the project and how your skills and background align with the project objectives.
- A current resume or CV.
- Any relevant certifications or portfolios.
Tembo is a fourth-generation, family-owned company with headquarters in Kampen, the Netherlands. With over 1,200 employees, Tembo has a global presence and is known for its innovation in manufacturing technology and sustainability. The company offers a range of services including on-site maintenance, relocation services, operator training, data monitoring, upgrades, and parts. Tembo is also committed to contributing to a better world by promoting sustainability and driving change.
This position is open to students currently enrolled in an applied university. The selected candidates will be expected to commit 40 hours per week for the duration of the project and will have the opportunity to work in an innovative, and inspiring environment at Tembo and Perron038.