Project: Automating the thickness measurement system for thin plastic films.
Duration: 6+ months
Application Deadline: December 2023
About the Project:
We are seeking highly motivated students from an applied university to join our dynamic team at Tembo in a project aimed at developing automated thickness measurement system for formed thin plastic films. Tembo is a global leader in manufacturing technology with a strong commitment to sustainability and innovation for our partners. To make our manufacturing systems more sustainable, we are trying to minimize packaging materials used in the detergent industry. However, this means that we must work at the boundaries of feasible packaging thickness. To optimize the manufacturing process settings, we need to measure the thickness of the formed packaging unit. At this moment this measurement is performed manually which is very labor intensive causing the biggest bottle neck in optimization. This project aims to develop an automated thickness measurement system which can quickly perform thickness measurement on many samples. The automated system (if possible) can be online i.e. on the machine OR as well as offline, whichever is the best possible solution.
In short, as Internship student/Minor, you will:
- Design the automated thickness measurement system with existing optical thickness measurement sensors and Co-bot.
- Develop the automated thickness measurement system.
- Test the measurement system and find the operational limits.
- Currently enrolled in Industrial automation & Robotics or related program at an applied university or University.
- Strong background in mechatronics, robotic programming.
- Experience with design, development and testing.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Interested candidates are invited to submit the following documents:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the project and how your skills and background align with the project objectives.
- A current resume or CV.
- Any relevant certifications or portfolios.
Tembo is a fourth-generation, family-owned company with headquarters in Kampen, the Netherlands. With over 1,200 employees, Tembo has a global presence and is known for its innovation in manufacturing technology and sustainability. The company offers a range of services including on-site maintenance, relocation services, operator training, data monitoring, upgrades, and parts. Tembo is also committed to contributing to a better world by promoting sustainability and driving change.
This position is open to students currently enrolled in an applied university. The selected candidates will be expected to commit 40 hours per week for the duration of the project and will have the opportunity to work in an innovative, and inspiring environment at Tembo and Perron038.